- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight on the night before your surgery. This includes water.
- A shower using regular soap and water is recommended the night before or morning of surgery if possible.
- Please notify us as soon as possible if there is any change in your health prior to surgery such as a new illness.
- Please notify our office as soon as possible if your surgery needs to be cancelled for any reason as a consideration to your physician, the place of surgery, and to other patients.
- Make sure you understand your operation. Please call the office if you have any last minute questions or need clarification about anything. You will also see your surgeon on the day of the operation to ask questions before you go to the operating room.
- If you are having hip or knee replacement surgery, then please watch this video on YouTube.
- Blood pressure medications if applicable should be taken with a small sip of water.
- Anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin, and Aspirin should be discontinued 1 week prior to surgery. Tylenol can be taken up to the day of surgery.
- If you are taking blood thinner medications (Coumadin or Warfarin, Plavix), please make sure your surgeon is aware of this and instructions have been given to you prior to proceeding with surgery. Failure to stop these medications may lead to cancellation of your surgery or result in bleeding complications during surgery.
- Please bring a current list of your medications or the medications themselves on the day of surgery.
Day of Surgery
- Make sure you know what time to arrive for surgery. You should receive a call from the place of surgery at least 1 day ahead of time. You will typically need to arrive 1-2 hours prior to the scheduled surgery time.
- You will need someone to be with you on the day of surgery to provide transportation. You will not be able to drive yourself. Any specific post-operative instructions will be given to them as well.
- Remember to bring equipment such as crutches and knee braces with you on the day of surgery.
- Plan to spend approximately one hour in the recovery room after your surgery.
We want you to be as comfortable as possible about your surgery. Please contact our office at 512-617-1989 for any additional questions you may have.
Additional Resource: northaustinsurgerycenter.com - See the What to Expect section of the website for additional information on preparing for surgery.